Popular piety went by the wayside after the Second Vatican Council, but the USCCB Bishop brought it back in their manual on the New Evangelization last year. In Disciples Called to Witness, the United States Bishop outline 7 ways to bring Catholics back to practicing the Faith and living in a relationship with Jesus Christ. These are 7 effective practices that every parish must implement, but we are going to only focus on one.
7 Key Components to a Culture of Conversion in the New Evangelization
- A commitment to the Christian life
- Parish life
- The liturgical life of the Church: popular devotions and piety
- The Christian family
- Catechists and teachers of the faith
- Human experience
How about we take a look at what the Bishops are instructing us to do with the Liturgical Life of the Church and popular devotions (ie the Rosary.)
The USCCB on Popular Devotions
The active participation and practice of the liturgy, prayers, devotions, and popular piety of the Church
provide a powerful witness to the faith. Participation in Mass should be encouraged, as the Eucharist is the heart of the Church’s life. By participating in Mass, learning common prayers, and practicing devotions, a person appropriates the teachings of the faith. The prayers, popular devotions, and liturgies of the Church form the basis of “Catholic culture”; they allow for the community to pray together in a common language and contribute to one’s continuing faith development.
10 Ways to Spread Devotion to the Rosary in a Catholic Parish
- Start Praying the Rosary Everyday
- Pray Everyday for the Parish Priest and Ask the Blessed Mother to Instruct Him (Yes this is a hard one)
- Invite your spouse to pray the rosary with you.
- Invite a friend to join you after The Holy Sacrifice of the Mass and Pray the Rosary.
- Share the Bishop’s document on Evenglization with your parish priest, staff, school, and everyone who makes decisions and invite them to promote the rosary.
- Invite your parish priest over for dinner and show him how you pray the rosary.
- Invite someone after Mass to pray the Rosary with you.
- Buy booklets on the rosary and ask the priests at your parish to hand them out.
- Ask your parish priest if you can purchase a vestment in honor of the Blessed Mother.
- Volunteer at your parish school and pray the rosary with classes.
The rosary is old school, but it just works. It costs little, but gives much. We have seen so many parishes transformed by true devotion to Mary. Don’t give up, just keep trusting.